The Testimony Of The Holy Spirit

Mr. and Mrs. L.T. Simes Sr.

L.T. SIMES SR AND NEVADER SIMES were married on November 28, 1948 in Popular Grove, Arkansas; God blessed this union with seven children. ON SEPTEMBER 9 1950 the first son, L. T. Simes II, was born to Mr. & Mrs. Simes. This is the testimony of that child.

When I look back over my life, I can clearly see the hand of God molding it. Jeremiah 1: 5 states "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee: and before thou camest forth out Of the womb I sanctified thee…" I was born on the Moore plantation in Popular Grove Ark. One of my earliest memories is of my Grandmother Lucille. I will always remember how she encouraged me to work feeding the pigs. This was fun until the day to slaughter came. I truly believed Grandmother would not let them kill my pretty pigs. I cried so much that day.

As a child, my father was kicked by a mule. His Mother and Father were separated so he did not tell his mother since she had enough to worry about. This injury never was properly treated, and is believed to have lead to an early disability. Five years after L. T Simes Sr. and Nevader Rollie were married, L. T, Sr. was stricken with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Dr. H. N. Faulkner said he would never get well and that farming would be impossible. Daddy gave his small green tractor to his brother, Daniel, and we moved to West Helena, Arkansas. We first moved to a part of town called New Addition, then to West Russell Street and finally in 1963 to Washington Street. Although my father was crippled with Anglos-Espondilitis, he along with the other family members chopped and picked cotton. I first learned to sing listening to my father sing in the fields. One thing I noticed was that he only sang Gospel music.

L.T. Simes II, L.T. Simes Sr, L.T. Simes IV and L.T. Simes III

My father would often go to the Levi Arthritis Hospital in Hot Spring to receive treatment for his Anglos-Espondilitis. On one occasion, when we were living on West Russell my father scared me to death. He had been in the hospital in Hot Springs for such a long time, and I didn't realize he was back. He jumped out of the closet and scared me.

I started first grade at West Side Elementary School. When I was in the 6th grade the principal, Mr. Roland Buchannan, called an assembly program and advised that the construction of the new Eliza Miller Junior High School was completed. He further advised that the 7th, 8th and 9th grades would be housed at this new facility. One exception was made, one class of 6th graders would also attend Eliza Miller. I will never forget that the first 6th grader’s name called was L. T. Simes. I was excited and blessed to go to a brand new school although I was only 6th grade. The Instructors were great. Our teachers instilled in us a positive attitude. We were persuaded that we could accomplish great things; the fact was that we were expected to succeed. The environment was conducive for learning. Everything was new and fresh; academic excellence was the first priority.

My parents were financially poor. The school had a cafeteria and Mrs. Desquare was the best cook. At lunch time the smell of delicious food would permeate the school, but I didn’t have money for lunch. I had a brown paper bag which generally contained a salt meat sandwich. Lunch was a good time for most students, but I would hide and eat my lunch. So instead of a fun time, lunch gave me a feeling of hurt and shame.

During my junior year in high school a new instructor named Ms Minnie Malone was hired. She taught typing and shorthand, and I was in her classes. Ms. Malone insisted on me being enrolled in both subjects. One of her frequent instructional comments was “now girls …you too L.T…… Later in my educational career I would find out what a blessing this was. To be a male student with shorthand skills was a distinct advantage in college and Law School.

Ms. Malone was inspiration to me and encouraged me to run for my first elected office. Ms. Malone and a group of female students (Inez, Mary, Betty, and Naomi) drafted me to run for President of the Senior Class. Three votes gave me the victory; the final vote was 85 to 82. Soon thereafter, I was also elected President of the Student Body.

L.T. Simmes SGA
L.T. Simes II and members of the Student Government Association.
Barbara Warfield / Patricia Dean / Ms Black / Reginald Rich / Ulysses Brown

Psalm 37:23
“The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.”

In the year of 1967 the Eliza Miller Buccaneers won the State Basketball Championship. One of the great motivational factors was that one of our classmates, Odell Sims, was shot and killed. We played the season in memory of Odell.

Principal J.H. White and students

On April 4th 1968 Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated. The following day my high school principal, Mr. J. H. White, drove me to Newport Arkansas for a State Student Council meeting. Mr. White a Tuskegee graduate. I listened very closely to him as we traveled. The things he had me to understand were life changing. That trip to Newport was a blessing. The entire nation was in a state of shock; to hear Mr. White talk about life’s circumstances remained with me through my lifetime.



"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

I graduated High School May 1968. The next step was college. I was awarded a scholarship to Ouachita Baptist University. My training paid off. Ouachita Baptist University was a predominately white University in 1968. God’s favor was with me. The student body elected me Vice President, May 1970. Dr. Jim Ranchino was my political science instructor. He was also a visionary. I will never forget the conversation we had about political polling. He could foresee the art of polling as early as 1970. He allowed me to challenge him on this point. I didn’t believe that it was possible to predict voter behavior in that there were so many variables. Dr. Ranchino was right. Now polling is a basic component of our electoral process. Most memorable was the time he invited me to come to his office the following day to meet a very special person. I was sitting there, in comes this man dressed like a hippy, long hair, etc Dr. Ranchino said to me, L. T. I want to introduce you to Bill Clinton. He became became Governor of the State of Arkansas and later President of The United States of America. Time passes on……… While in Law School I Again met Bill Clinton as my Law professor. While in Law School we gave Bill a nickname of “WONDER BOY CLINTON’ Wonder Boy he was.

While at Ouachita Baptist University, I met a friend. I did not have money to buy a tennis racket for my tennis class. This friend loaned me his racket for this class. I was in my dormitory room getting dress for the tennis class, and practice the tennis strokes. I accidentally hit the tennis racket on something and it broke. I was in shock, fear, and very concerned that I didn’t have the money to pay for his racket. My mother would send me $10 per month out of her welfare check. I had to survive the entire month on $10. Not only that, but this friend was a great tutor in science. I didn’t know what I was going to do. As I look back, I realize that I was about to experience the first miracle in my life. The tennis racket that I had broken had some how mended it-self back together. Suddenly, it wasn’t broken anymore. At the time I had little spiritual awareness, but now I understand that God had preformed a miracle.

Exodus chapter 4 verse 2, 3, and 4.
“And the Lord said unto him, what is that in thine hand? And he said a rod. And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent and Moses fled from before it. And the Lord said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand:”

In 1971, the track team for Ouachita Baptist University won the AIC Track Championship . All of these guys were friends of mine. One Saturday morning, they knocked on my door and said lets go swimming. We went to Lake Degray Park, Arkadelphia, Arkansas. After swimming for a while one of our track stars named E. J. Outley decided to swim all the way across the lake. I thought I could do the same thing. I had not comprehended the fact that E. J. was a 220 yard dash champion, 440 yard champion, and mile relay champion. The track team remained on campus because they were eligible for the NAIA Championship…. Mean while back at the Degray Lake, I started swimming across this lake. I swam a long ways and began to get tired and looked back. It was too far to go back and too far to get to the other side. Now I’m determined to make it. I swam so far that I lost all feelings in my legs and arms and began to sink into the water. I went down more than 3 times, but God did not allow me to panic, to catch a cramp, or swallow water. E. J. Outley was the first to swim all the way back to the middle of the lake to bring me out. I can remember Tom Jones, Thomas Gulley, Dwight Gragg, Lawrence Cook, and Johnny Pool. My son L. T. Simes III and his mother Ollie were on the bank of the lake. I was so glad to get back to land then. I should have drowned that day, but God had mercy and plans for my life.

Isaiah Chapter 43 verse 2
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers; they shall not overflow thee; when though walkest through the fire. Thou shall not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee"

Dr. Lera Kelley - Business Administration

Later I ran for President of the student body of Ouachita Baptist University. I worked very hard. I maintained the GPA that was required, and really believed that I would win and become the first African American President of the student body of Ouachita. I lost the election and there was a big dispute about the voting machines. Losing was very difficult to me. I was disappointed and became melancholy. Dr. Lera Kelley was the Chairman of The Business Department. She was a lawyer and her father was a lawyer also. Her farther was a lawyer. At the conclusion of class one day as the students were walking out, she asked to speak to me. When she and I were alone in the room, she sat on her desk and I sat in the student’s desk. Her exact words to me were “Get Your Head out Your expletive deleted.” She said, "Your are angry and upset with everybody; you don’t have your smile anymore." I heard what happen with the voting machines and the fraternities. Then she asked me, "What do you want to do when you graduate?" I wasn’t sure at that time about my plans. The words that came from her mouth next charted my professional career. She said, “If I can get you in law school, will you go?” I guess you can say the rest is history. She got me in and here I am.

Proverbs chapter 3 verse 5 & 6
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

Time passes on….

Dr. Jim Rachino

I begin law school September 1972. One day I'm approached by this tall handsome professor, blue suit and a briefcase. He comes over and introduces himself to me. I didn’t recognize him as the same person introduced to me by Dr. Jim Rachino. He said, "Hi, I’m Bill Clinton. Jim Ranchino introduced me to you." Now I see how God brought into my path great and dynamic people who would have a lasting impact on my life. Bill Clinton was a good friend of mine, and later became Governor of the State of Arkansas. He lost to Frank White and I will always remember the day after that election. Hundreds of us drove to the Governor’s Mansion and assembled on the lawn. It was early in the morning and Governor Clinton came to the balcony and spoke to us. One of the things he said was that the pendulum swings and this time we lost and we must leave. I felt his pain and disappointment as I saw his tears. Later of course he was re-elected Governor; I made history when he appointed me as the first African American to the State of Arkansas Soil and Water Commission. I was appointed Chairman of that commission in 1979.

State Of Arkansas Soil and Water
Conservation Commission Certificate

While, in law school I meet Steve Clark who was an administrator at the University Of Arkansas School Of Law. I served on the scholarship committee and admission committee with him. Steve became a very good and trusted friend. Later he became Attorney General of the State of Arkansas. Upon graduating in December 19, 1974 I packed and prepared to leave Fayetteville. Before leaving I wanted to say goodbye to Steve Clark. I went to the law school and talked to him. He inquired about my plans. He also advised that he had had communications with Jim Guy Tucker the Attorney General for Arkansas. Steve had recommended me to Jim Guy Tucker as a new Assistant Attorney General. The job was mine, if I wanted it. I inquired of Steve of the prospects of opening a law office in West Helena, Arkansas. Steve’s comments were that the Assistant Attorney General job paid $15,000 per year and that solo practice would probably generate $75,000 per year. I drove from Fayetteville to Little Rock. I went to the State Capitol grounds really for the purpose of thanking Mr. Tucker for the opportunity to serve his administration and the State of Arkansas.

L.T. Simes with staff in the first Afican American law office in  West Helena, Arkansas 

My son L. T. Simes III (5 years of age) was with me. Various people began to come to me happy and elated thinking I was going to accept the position. I’ll always remember this white female; beautiful smile came up to me and said, "You’re L.T.. You’re going to be the new Assistant General." I told her, "No, I came to thank Jim Guy for the opportunity, but I decided to go to Helena and open a law practice." Her response was “Helena, you pick a tough nut to crack.” Her statement was very prophetic. The Lord blessed me to open the first African American law office in West Helena, Arkansas in theyear of 1975.  

Genesis chapter 18 verse 14
Is any thing too hard for the Lord?.....


In 1975, there were still some doctor’s offices with separate waiting rooms. The West Helena Housing Authority practiced segregation in assigning vacant houses. I prevailed in a Federal Court case of Maxie, Davis, Wilhite vs. West Helena Housing Authority. I won the case of Brockell vs. the City of Marvell, Arkansas. The case with the largest impact was Perkins vs. the City of West Helena. 675 F.2d 201 United States Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit. Decided April 13, 1982. We successfully challenged the at large voting system in West Helena. As a result, in April 1983 there was a special election, and blacks won 4 of the 8 council seats. History was made, L. T. Simes II, Earnest Simpson, Wesley Holder and Rev. Conway Gilcreast won seats on the City Council.


Genesis chapter 39 verse 2
And the Lord was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man;…

My brother, Raymond Simes graduated from Arkansas State University in Jonesboro, Arkansas with a degree in Radio/Television. His dream was to own and operate the first African American radio station in : Eastern Arkansas. In December 1984, history was made; we placed KCLT FM. 104.9 on the air. The first Sunday afterwards I started the Sunday School in Review Broadcast. The program has continued every since. Ten years later we placed KAKJ FM. 105.3 on the air. As a child I remember three lights that always got my attention. After the sunset I would always find myself in a slight trance wondering about three lights that would always appear. I didn’t know at the time, but I later discovered that these are radio towers. The Lord has now blessed us to own our 3rd radio station WNEV 98.7 FM Friars Point, Mississippi. The Lord placed down on my heart to teach the Sunday school lesson life on the radio.

L.T. Simes Gospel Hour

In October 1993, My brother, Wardell lost his life in a tragic one vehicle accident. I was in my West Memphis law office when I received the call from Trooper, Mark Gregory advising me of the accident and death of my brother. I had to be strong for my family. The Sunday following Wardell’s death I was not able to go to the radio station and teach the Sunday school lesson on the air. I thought that by the next Sunday I would be strong enough to go to the station and teach the Sunday school, but when that Sunday came I woke up early in the morning, and thought about preparing to teach and go into the station. After thinking about it, I realized that I still could not go and as soon as I resolved in my mind not to go, suddenly a bright shinning light appeared in my bedroom in front of the closet. This light was in the form of my brother. He had the biggest smile and God allowed us to communicate. Wardell was saying, "Do you remember we would sing as children?" I remembered that Wardell and I sang in a group called Christianaires. The Lord let me understand that my brother was in the heavenly choir full of joy. I jumped out of the bed, went to the radio station and taught my Sunday school lesson. Now I realized that this was a divine vision. I had not sung in over 25 years other than in the shower. I had been very busy with carnal things; college degree, law degree, owning and operating radio station, and great political aspirations. The vision that I had after Wardell’s death would enlighten me.

St. Mathew chapter 6 verse 19-21.
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is there will your heart be also."

On November 20, 1994 I recorded my first gospel album. L. T. Simes gospel hour. Featuring Rev. James Baker and Fantastic Jordan Wonders. In a song called Heavenly Choir. I gave a testimony of the vision that I had had with my brother Wardell. December 1, 2001 I recorded a second album.

This is my third album in titled The Testimony of the Holy Spirit. It will feature a song called the Holy Spirit as I sing and testify about another divine experience that occurred in 1977.